[X4U] Any SilverFast 6.5+ users?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 2 20:32:07 PST 2008

I have a couple questions for any SilverFast 6.5+ users about the
ability to save as a PDF file.  First off, is it possible to save
multiple scans to a single PDF?  Also, it appears that you can only
save 24-bit scans, is this correct?  If so that rather stinks when
scanning text.  Also, am I correct that if you buy SilverFast for
your scanner you don't need any additional drivers?

I'm trying to help someone figure out what they need to get a UMAX
Astra 6450 scanner to work on their MacBook Pro, as the clamshell
iBook they were using to drive the scanner has died.  Their main use
is scanning old text documents, but also some scanning of antique
Photo's.  They had been using an ancient version of either Adobe
Photoshop Elements or LE (can't remember which), and Adobe Acrobat 5
(of course Adobe won't let you upgrade from v5).  If upgrading to
Acrobat 8 (the trick being finding a sealed copy), or buying Acrobat
9 is the answer, either is possible, but that still would leave the
question of a device driver for the scanner.

Zane