[X4U] Any SilverFast 6.5+ users?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Dec 3 05:35:12 PST 2008

>I have a couple questions for any SilverFast 6.5+ users about the
>ability to save as a PDF file.  First off, is it possible to save
>multiple scans to a single PDF?  Also, it appears that you can only
>save 24-bit scans, is this correct?  If so that rather stinks when
>scanning text.  Also, am I correct that if you buy SilverFast for
>your scanner you don't need any additional drivers?
>
>I'm trying to help someone figure out what they need to get a UMAX
>Astra 6450 scanner to work on their MacBook Pro, as the clamshell
>iBook they were using to drive the scanner has died.  Their main use
>is scanning old text documents, but also some scanning of antique
>Photo's.  They had been using an ancient version of either Adobe
>Photoshop Elements or LE (can't remember which), and Adobe Acrobat 5
>(of course Adobe won't let you upgrade from v5).  If upgrading to
>Acrobat 8 (the trick being finding a sealed copy), or buying Acrobat
>9 is the answer, either is possible, but that still would leave the
>question of a device driver for the scanner.

Vuescan supports the Umax Astra 6450. (As well as an amazingly long
list of other scanners)
<http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#umax>

It also outputs multi-page PDFs if you set up its Output settings for
PDF format, and Multipage PDF. It works with OS X 10.2-10.5.  There
is even an OS 9 version. It costs $40 and is well worth it. It's an
excellent scanner driver.

You can download it as shareware here: <http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html>

Daly