[X4U] Difference between DVDs and CDs?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 04:28:17 PST 2008

Fabian Fong wrote:

>However DVDs and CDs may differ in thickness or weight, it is
>probably not the cause for your recent experience.  During three
>years of continual usage, with frequent reading/writing of DVDs and
>CDs in its SuperDrive, my iMac G5 (20", iSight) has never "shot out"
>any CDs from its side slot in the way that you described.

I have seen that exact issue on four different iMacs over the years.
Some machines do it, some don't. My mother's old computer did that,
to her cats' great amusement. I never saw a DVD in one of those
machines, however, and so can't comment on that.  Just now, I used a
postage scale to weigh five DVD blanks and five CD blanks, and both
stacks weighed 2.6 ounces. So I don't think weight is the issue.  The
stacks were also the same height.

Daly