[X4U] Difference between DVDs and CDs?

Fabian Fang ftf at mac.com
Wed Dec 10 20:50:13 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the physical difference
> between DVDs and CDs are? Are they the same thickness or weight? I'm
> asking because for some time now when my iMac G5 ejects a CD it
> shoots it out the side slot and the disk bounces and rolls off my
> desk and I have to go get it half way across the room. And yet when
> I eject a DVD it pops out about 2/3 of the way like it's suppose to
> and waits like a good little disk for me to take it. If I think
> about it I will put my hand there and catch the CDs as they come out
> but every once in a while I forget what media is in and bounce,
> bounce, bounce. Very annoying.

However DVDs and CDs may differ in thickness or weight, it is probably
not the cause for your recent experience.  During three years of
continual usage, with frequent reading/writing of DVDs and CDs in its
SuperDrive, my iMac G5 (20", iSight) has never "shot out" any CDs from
its side slot in the way that you described.