[X4U] Lesson Learned

LA Licata lalicata at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Dec 16 09:49:48 PST 2008

Jon,

I originally THOUGHT that the internal hard drive, which was writing
data to the disk at the time of the bump, had been damaged and that
is why I originally thought that I could confirm that was the problem
by starting up on an external drive and seeing if all was fine.

When it was not fine, my limited knowledge of t/s led me down the
paths of using the various software tools I owned.

When that did not work, I thought I was toast, but on a lark, thought
to reset NVRAM.

It was while I was doing this that I saw the access cover for the
RAM, and then I vaguely remembered that removing those ram boards and
reinserting them fixed some peoples' problems.

Since I was at wits end, and looking at giving the PB to the repair
guy, I thought I had nothing to loose by pulling and re-installing
those boards. This "got nothing-to lose" whim came after 16+ hours of
t/s.

And, you know the rest.....

Lee