[X4U] Apple QC slipping?

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 11:16:28 PST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 1:13 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> The "quality" (as far as hardware goes) seems "OK" to me. The
>> software is a different issue. I do not care for the INTEL
>> decision while it might be "OK" for some it is basically a
>> corporate sell out of all MAC owners AFAIAC. When faced with a
>> similar issue at least one manufacture went out and "invented" a
>> better way and the company is much better for it. Apples sellout
>> to INTEL was a techies shortsightedness and we will all pay for it
>> soon, IMO.
>
> The only difference that I've seen since the switch to Intel
> processors has been an increase in performance, and some Macs
> running cooler.  I haven't seen any downside to the switch for end
> users.  Even older non-native software runs faster on the latest Macs.
>
> But who knows...Apple recently purchased a processor manufacturing
> company, P.A. Semi, that specializes in 64-bit processing, so its
> always possible that Apple will switch processors again.
> http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/23/apple-buys-pasemi-tech-ebiz-
> cz_eb_0422apple.html

Randy:

Good article, thanks.

I think you are missing the issue of OS9 apps not running anymore on
the new machines (10.5 and up). That is a major issue as far as I am
concerned a real show stopper (to me).

I am somewhat familiar with the 64 bit issue on another machine and I
guess I agree the switchover is going to be extremely painful. The
other machine I am familiar with has adopted temporarily an
environment that allows 32 bit and 64 bit application to co-exist it
is not clear what will happen if the 64 bit only environment is going
to do.  The manufacturer has not made it clear but I suspect that it
will not be pretty and they may loose some of their base as they are
loosing companies quicker now.

It is bad enough to have re-invent the wheel when you have a company
that has 100's of millions of dollars tied up but when you spread the
amount around to millions of people the customer base will desert
them if they are not extremely careful.

Ed