[X4U] Making my public folder availble

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Tue Dec 23 08:08:57 PST 2008

Hi all.

I have a program I want to allow a couple of friends to get from my
computer. I have several questions about this.

1. Since I am using an airport extreme with a wireless network, I assume I
have to set up port
forwarding. Is this correct?

2. I did set up a port forwarding scheme that works. However, I have a
question about port numbers. Is the public port number one you make up
and
is the private port number one dependent on the protocol being used? If
so, how do I determine what to use for the private port number? I know
from my linux experience that 22 is the usual port for ssh but I don't
know anything about port numbers with the Mac other than this. Also, the
instructions I read indicated that when I set up the port mapping in
Airport Utility I'd choose a service but I don't see any opportunity to do
this. I do have file sharing on in system preferences > sharing.

3. I could put the programs I want to share in my Public folder. However,
have discontinued .mac/mobileme so I'm assuming that I can no longer have
people access my public folder by finder > go > idisk > other user's
public folder. Am I correct in this assumption and if so can this be done
by goto server or is that still only for peopole within the network?

6. I also thought of allowing ftp downloads though I realize information
isn't encrypted. If I went this route, how would I control what folders
people are allowed to access? Is this taken care of in the sharing options
or do I have to do more than this?

5. Miscelaneous: Any other information on safely having people copy or
download from my computer--but obviously only what i want copied or
downloaded!!!--would be appreciated.

Tia.

--
Cheryl