[X4U] Making my public folder availble

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Dec 23 17:03:03 PST 2008

It's possible to setup your router/firewall to allow folks to connect
from outside using AFP or FTP or SSH/SCH or whatever . . . but it's a
bit difficult to do securely. Well, not difficult if you know
how . . .but since you're asking I would hesitate to do it that way.

There are a couple of places on the net that you can upload things to
and then send your friends an email with the location . . . as long as
the file size is less than (I think) 100 MB those work fine. The name
of the one I have in mind has temporarily escaped me though:-(.

Trying to share it from your home computer is hard to do while
maintaining security.

Do you have web space anywhere? Usually you can put a directory on
your web site then put a file named .htaccess inside it . . . with the
words Options + Indexes in the file. This allows a user to go to the
directory and get a listing of files from where they can download it.
For instance . . . if your web site is normally located at http://something.com/Cheryl
  then creating a directory named Files and putting the .htaccess file
and the program to be downloaded in the Files directory . . . this
allows folks to get your web site by going to something.com/Cheryl or
to view the contents of the directory by going to something.com/Cheryl/
Files.

http://www.getdropbox.com works pretty well . . .although I'm not sure
this is the one I remember.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress,
cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to relating them together
is Jello.

neil