[X4U] Apple QC slipping?

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 25 11:25:09 PST 2008

Interesting how the discussion of QC morphed into both the "sell out"
and "backwards compatibility" sub-threads.

I am using a brand new mac book pro with 4 gigs of RAM, and I can say
objectively that it's an inferior creative platform to my aging G4
Mac Minis.

the intel-based mac has loads of video issues...funky screen re-draws
and blips, mistakes on zooming (I get zoomed on an area other than
the one I marquee) and conversion errors...like, going from
Illustrator to Photoshop will be a couple of pixels off, and in
electronic or web presentations, that ain't good.

I recall the days in the mid-90s when mac users were crowing about
that Intel problem wherein errors were made in spreadsheets. Mac
Users were gloating saying "Intel Inside" was a warning label.

So, here I have *THE* latest stuff and I wouldn't give you a dime for
a trainload. I'm only using it for work, provided by my employer, and
now that I've used this rig, I'd never buy it with my own money.

I think Nick nailed it earlier about the move to standard parts,
planned obsolescence, etc. Everybody seems to have a hard-on for
always having the latest thing. If you don't have the latest, life
isn't worth living.

that is one opinion.

zc