[X4U] Did I discover something? Preview won't open some PDF files

Germain M. germain_m at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 30 20:32:10 PST 2008

Hi,

As in the object: did I discover something -at las- that is Preview
in Leopard (Tiger too) don't open some format of PDF files. For the
first ever time, it occured today: Preview wouldn't open a PDF file,
showing those dreaded "svengali" characters instead. So I DL Acrobat
Reader and Oh miracle, it wuld open the file. So what kind of PDF is
it that Preview can't open. This happened on my sister's new 24
inches iMac with the latest soft on. She made the switch from PC last
Wednesday so imagine: her biggest fear (not opening some files) came
true days after the switch. She had to go back to her PC to open the
file and dear PC opened it flawlessly. No mention of her dearest
Power Point funny .ppt she gets by the ton in her mailbox. No opening
here too. Hey, no MS Office in a brand new iMac. She DL OpenOffice
instead but it aint her beloved Office Suite...Anyway back to the PDF
case here. Please give me some hints. What did the sender used to
create this PDF?

Thanks a lot

Germain

iMac Intel 2.0ghz