[X4U] Did I discover something? Preview won't open some PDF files

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Wed Dec 31 08:46:50 PST 2008

On 12/30/08 10:32 PM, Germain M. wrote:

> What did the sender used to create this PDF?

>From what you've said, it sounds like Preview DID in fact open the PDF, it
just couldn't display the characters that were used in it. Is that right?

Most likely, in my experience, the fonts were not embedded when the PDF was
created. If you want to send it to me, I can check the properties in Acrobat
Pro and tell you if this is the case -- it will tell me the name of the
fonts, and whether they were embedded or not. If they aren't, font
substitution occurs, and this would happen on a Windows box as well as a
Mac, if the font isn't installed. If your sister had the font installed, it
would  have shown up just fine. Or, if your sis had tried with Reader, Adobe
uses its "Adobe Serif" and "Adobe Sans" fonts to approximate the look of
unembedded fonts.