[X4U] Re: Leopard, one more problem

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Sat Feb 2 14:40:39 PST 2008

Robert-

I think you missed the point of my original posting, which
was that - in spite of the many good features of Leopard -
there were some newly introduced changes that required me
to do something. Most MacOS upgrades fix problems or add
features that I can use or not use. The things I mentioned
are the type of issues that others call "known problems".

1) I should have added that I use list view in most cases (except
where I need cover flow). According to you, Robert, I guess I'm
the only person in the Mac world that does use list view. My
apologies.

2) Your server permission comments are vague and probably
non-applicable, since I logged in as the server's owner and
owner of the files in question. The files were no longer accessible
through the server because their directories were at root level.
I had the directories at root level because I couldn't make
Classic apps go directly to a user directory, but
since that reason no longer applies, I just moved the directories.
But it did change the behavior and did take some time to fix. In any
case, I noted that this was a bump, not a disabling problem.

3) Thanks for your comment about Verizon, but I was listing
glitches or changes with Leopard. This "glitch" is probably the
result of a change in the open-source code that Apple uses.
Your comment may be true, but it's also misleading. Other
posters said they had the same issue with other ISPs.

4) If you checked Excel boards, you'd find that others have
had similar problems. There are work-arounds, but my point was
that Leopard has annoying glitches, and this is one of them.

5) Thanks for your observation about your num lock key. Did you
install the keyboard firmware upgrade? Apparently Apple is
changing something regarding the numeric overlay. See
David Pogue's blog here:
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/the-vanishing-numeric-
keypad/>

On Feb 2, 2008, Robert Ameeti <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:

>> But there have been bumps along the road:
>> 1. Open dialog boxes open with the focus in the sidebar, so typing
>> the first letters of a filename is an exercise in futility without
>> first using a mouse.
>
> I've just tried this in Eudora, Safari, and Word. In every case, the
> focus was in the first column of my column view.
>
>> 2. Save and Open dialog boxes don't remember the file listing
>> sequence (date or name).
>
> Hmmm. You must prefer List View. I've not seen anyone use that option.
>
>> 4. In my home network, I can only mount users, not drive root
>> levels. Tiger would let me mount the server's hard drive; Leopard
>> will only mount the username.
>
> Set the access permissions to change this. The new behavior is more
> in line with appropriate security.
>
>> 5. Browser behavior has changed, requiring using an alternate
>> Verizon DNS to fix.
>
> This would be Verizon's desire to acquire more ad revenue.
>
>> 6. Leopard has broken my Microsoft keyboard; specifically, the
>> numeric keypad no longer works.
>
> Leopard broke it? Or it does not follow the Apple API guidelines?
>
>> 7. Leopard has sickened the numeric overlay pad on my MacBook. The
>> num-lock key and the pad no longer work in Excel 2004.
>
> Num Lock works on my MacBook Pro with Excel 2004.

Jon