[X4U] Re: Leopard, one more problem

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Sun Feb 3 07:52:43 PST 2008

At 5:40 PM -0500, 2/2/08, Jon Warms wrote:

>The things I mentioned are the type of issues that others call
>"known problems".

While some would like to call them 'known problems', others recognize
them as 'you've been caught' type of things. Every version of a new
Operating System will continue to close holes and will typically
enforce rules that previously existed but were not mandated. If
things were done the way that they were designed to be done, user's
typically don't have a problem.

>1) I should have added that I use list view in most cases (except
>where I need cover flow). According to you, Robert, I guess I'm the
>only person in the Mac world that does use list view. My apologies.

No apologies necessary. It is just that I see hundreds of users
everyday (in schools & other businesses) using their Macs and I've
yet to see anyone use the List View in an Open File dialog. I've
tested this in both Tiger and Leopard, and I can see no difference on
several computers. On each version of the OS, all of the computers
remembered the correct column to sort on, as well as the order of the
Sort. I can not figure out a way to break it in Leopard.

>2) Your server permission comments are vague and probably non-applicable,

They may be not work for you but I've 'fixed' this problem several
times by adjusting the permissions. If Apple should decide to
'enforce' the proper placement of Applications and Documents so that
they are not easily allowed at the root of the drive, I'll not be
feeling bad for those that are 'forced' to move those documents are
directories to their proper places. Many people do things because
they are able to do things but that doesn't make them right. To have
a secure computer, certain rules must be followed.

>3) Thanks for your comment about Verizon, but I was listing glitches
>or changes with Leopard.

Because this is not happening with all users, nor with all Verizon
customers, it must be recognized that this is not a Leopard issue but
rather due to something outside of Leopard. If it was a Leopard
issue, it would affect all Leopard users.

>Other posters said they had the same issue with other ISPs.

Yes, other ISPs are continually changing things. ie. Comcast has been
in the news for breaking Bit Torrent connections. Other ISPs are also
thinking of doing the same. But because it is happening today, this
is not Leopard's fault. If your Verizon search page is coming up, but
another Leopard's ISP's  is not coming up, as well as another
Verizon's user's search page is not coming up, it is time to look for
the real problem and that would be the Verizon DNS that you are using
rather than blaming Leopard.

>4) If you checked Excel boards, you'd find that others have had
>similar problems.

Probably non Apple keyboards that are not properly implementing this.
If this bug is not happening to all Leopard users, then I'm not
thinking that Leopard broke it. I'd look to some interaction of
keyboard, drivers, etc.

>5) Thanks for your observation about your num lock key. Did you
>install the keyboard firmware upgrade?

Yep.

>  Apparently Apple is changing something regarding the numeric overlay.

Yep. They are not including it in new keyboards. But Leopard does not
remove the feature from existing keyboards. Again I'd look to the
keyboard that is being used and other drivers.

Apple is also removing the Apple logo from the Command key. And for
many years people referred to it as the Apple key instead of the
Command key. Calling it Open Apple worked for them but apparently
Apple feels that it is time to stop giving them an excuse for calling
it the Apple key.

--

Robert Ameeti

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt