[X4U] Problems with MAIL after 2.1.2 update

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 19:24:40 PST 2008

After updating to 10.4.11 I have had two outages on the Apple Mail
program. The first occurred approximately 2 weeks ago. I could get
mail but not receive mail . It just would not give me any error
message just timed out getting mail. I contacted my service provider
(COMCAST) and asked them if they had changed any server settings
(ports etc) and they said "NO". After 2 hours on the phone they
contacted Apple and they stepped me through the same things that
COMCAST had done. Two things stood out one was that the port number
had "magically" changed COMCAST had me put in 26(IIRC)
and that I was to use secure sockets. They (COMCAST) said no that is
supposed to be 587 and I was supposed to be using secure sockets. I
said fine why has this worked for over 2 years and I asked if they
had changed anything and they said "NO" (I don't believe them). I
changed  the port they wanted and *NOT* to use secure sockets. and
guess what, it worked.

Tonight I started to getting a message from Apple mail saying the
retrieve email was timing out. I called COMCAST and we went through
their debugging procedure (again)  and nothing worked.  They then
told me to stop/start email and all of a sudden it started to work.

Have I got a bug in Apple Mail or is this a case of COMCAST changing
something and not admitting to it?

Ed

ps: When I went back in tonight the secure sockets was turned on
(magically) and I have not touched it.