[X4U] Making a DVD copy-CSS protection

Brett Conlon brettnlis at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 7 23:00:16 PST 2008

Hi David,

Yes, MacTheRipper is your buddy for removing copy protectiuon as
others have noted.

I'm not sure about 10.4 but on 10.5, once you have a folder containing
the VIDEO_TS folder (and perhaps the DVD also has other items in it
like PC games or other additional files in there too) a FREE and easy
way to create a UDF formatted disc (UDF is the native format for DVD
players - some players may reject non-UDF formatted discs) is to
launch Disk Utility and choose "Disc Image from Folder" under the File/
New menus. Then choose the DVD folder created by MacTheRipper and
specify "hyb rid image (HFS+/ISO/UDF) from the format menu and save
the image file to wherever you want. You can then use Disc Utility or
Toast Lite to burn the image.

I had a look in 10.3's Disk Utility and it doesn't have the hybrid
format option.

Cheers,

Cojcolds

ps. I also have a small AppleScript droplet app that will create a UDF
formatted ISO file from a dropped folder and burn it for you if you
like.