[X4U] Making a DVD copy-CSS protection

Brett Conlon brettnlis at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 8 18:57:06 PST 2008

Hiya,

I only have Toast Lite so have never had access to its DVD-ROM (UDF)
option.

UDIF (Universal Disc Image Format) is Apple's OSX Disc Image format
(.dmg files). I don't believe it will suit DVD purposes.

However, I did find a neat trick for accessing Disk Utility's hidden
formats. Just type the following into Terminal (press return) then
launch Disk Utility and try creating an image as per before. See if a
UDF/ISO format option is available - I tested this in 10.3.9 but there
isn't a UDF/ISO option.

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

I can't find any information on the "DVD/CD Master" format but from my
past experience it hasn't created a DVD disc that will work in my
player so I'm a bit mystified about what it is used for...

Oh, and when I'm experimenting with creating DVD discs I always first
use a re-writable disc until I get it right - no coasters that way!

Cheers,

Coj