[X4U] PowerMac recommendations

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Feb 19 09:39:00 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 09:59:17AM CST, Matt Gregory <mattgregory33 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My household is currently an all-laptop one.  But we're in the need of a
> desktop we can use as a light-duty server (file/printer sharing, etc), as
> well as enable us to better share a large iTunes library and be somewhat of
> a workhorse to run Aperture/Lightroom, perhaps Photoshop, edit some movies,
> that kind of thing.  We don't need 8-cores by any means, just something that
> will perform acceptably.  For sake of argument, I'll define "acceptably" as
> : when straightening a photo I'm willing to slow down and be more
> deliberate, but not willing to lose track of when the computer has caught up
> to my input (like on my G4 PowerBook).
>
> I think a new iMac would do the job, but I think a PowerMac would be a
> little more versatile and used ones seem quite affordable (compared to new
> Mac Pros).  $1500 is what I'm thinking, but I see many have sold for less
> than $1000 on eBay.

Unless the apps you must run are available as PPC-only binaries,
I would go with a new, Intel-based iMac or Mac Pro.  More likely
the former as it is closer to your price range.  Also, Apple has
refurbished Intel iMacs that are $200-$400 cheaper still.  Check
out the online store for more details:

	<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA1&nclm=CertifiedMac>

At refurbished prices, a previous-generation Intel Mac Pro might
be within your budget as well.  See above link for details.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/