[X4U] PowerMac recommendations

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 19 13:28:01 PST 2008

On 19 Feb 2008, at 18:24, Matt Gregory wrote:
> Do you think I should be concerned with graphics card upgradability
> with the iMac?  Given that gaming is a non-factor as I've never
> gravitated toward the games that require any serious graphics
> muscle.  But I know Aperture uses the GPU significantly so I
> suspect other apps to as well, or to be in future versions...

The graphics card is your big consideration in this purchase, because
the only program that will be pushing the performance of your machine
will be Aperture.

However, I wouldn't worry about the _upgradability_ of the graphics
card, because replacement graphics cards for PowerMacs (and Mac Pros,
presumably) are so expensive.

I have a dual-processor G5 with an ATi 9800 in it, and it is not
powerful for Aperture. It's usable, but I would love something more
powerful - when Aperture & Lightroom first came out it was then that
spurred me to upgrade from 1.25gig to 3gig of RAM. If I were using
Aperture now as much as I was doing photo stuff back then I would
probably have been gnashing my teeth at the graphics card long ago
(and perhaps have upgraded to a MacPro).

Others have suggested that an iMac may have as much ooomph! as a G5,
and they could well be right. The annual increases in graphics cards
performance are quite considerable. Last year's high-end Mac does not
compare favourably with this years, yet a premium graphics card may
hold its value ridiculously well on the secondhand market.
Personally, I would be unlikely to upgrade my PowerMac's graphics
card, because I'd expect to get a better ROI putting the cost of that
towards a new machine. On the other hand, eBay is all about bargains,
so shopping around you may get one, but do undertake your homework
first, and know what your money buys in graphics card terms.

Stroller.