[X4U] PowerMac recommendations

N netkat at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 08:34:54 PST 2008

or minis to powerbooks... but that's the comparison the original poster
began with anyway: this mac versus that mac.

you strike a good point, Stroller: I don't mention Aperture
performance. I don't have Aperture.

But I DO have LIghtwave and Final Cut Studio, and I can assure you that
they are both heavy hitters in the realm of CPU-intensive computing.

I can tell you that I often have iTunes playing while doing 3D
rendering, and even though Lightwave tends to slurp down upwards of 90%
CPU power, iTunes rarely even burps while rendering is going on.

I can tell you that my G4 mini X-benched at a little over half the
figure for a Dual-processor, 2Ghz G5. That's correct, a
single-processor 1.42 Ghz G4 clocked in at 1/2 the X Bench performance
of a dual-processor 2-Ghz G5.

I can tell you after having done all of this work, plus had multiple
intensive tasks going on at once (such as photoshop batch processing a
few hundred images while 3D rendering going on) that even a G4 mini
with Tiger as the OS is a serious machine.

So, just think what the intel-based Mini could do with the tasks listed
by the original poster.

Now, when you look at specs on a web page, you might think "oh, well,
this mac will get spanked silly by the one with the better "tech
specs."

And, maybe it will. You'll only know when you sit down and do the work
YOU do, but it helps the decision-making process to hear from others
with comparable experiences.