[X4U] I finally made a decision, and>>

Konrad Waibel overloadinfo at charter.net
Tue Feb 26 13:57:12 PST 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:30 AM, n wrote:

> I take it the glare of the glossy screen just made it too difficult
> for you to work? distracting? or, did it pick up and reflect colors
> on you or in your studio?
>
> or, all of the above and more?

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Konrad Waibel wrote:
>
>> this morning I ordered the 'stuff' listed below from Apple.   Down
>> the road I'll add a separate large display [maybe an Apple
>> display, maybe another brand], but as I told the Apple person, I
>> will never buy another iMac as long as it is offered with a glossy
>> screen.

----
I will apologize up front for tossing out a rant about disliking
glossy screens, looks like I didn't see how annoyed I was until now
about the iMac's being all glossy screens.

I live in northern Nevada, lots of sunshine, clear skies most of the
time, 4700 feet altitude, high UV.  I should also mention I had
cataract replacement surgery in 2006 and no longer need corrective
lenses, I see better now than ever before in my life.  I wanted a new
large screen 24 inch iMac because they suit my general needs: web
use, email, processing photos, music/iPods, just as this list banner
states, I'm a "casual user".  My 2003 1 GHz G4 still runs 10.4.11
just fine, but slow and straining, fine to go into another room as a
backup but very tired for my daily use.

I've tried to get used to a glossy screen.  I've made monthly trips
in the past six months to the closest Apple Store, 70 mile round-trip
each time, to use the iMac I prefer.  I bought an iPod 'touch' in
September thinking if I used it I'd see the worth of a glossy
screen.  Not for me, sorry, too much glare, mirror-like reflections
of me and any light in the room, or movement from the outside.  Bad
enough on a small screen, no way on a 24 or 20 inch iMac.  I
considered the MacMini and a display but decided the Mini was not
much advantage over my 2003 iMac; thought about the Mac Pro and a
display, decided it was possible but overkill.

So my Mac Book Pro is coming,  and the new 'stuff' will be fast and
snappy, and I can buy a display if I really decide I need screen space.

Regards, Konrad.