[X4U] External HD Reliability?

n netkat at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 11:53:32 PST 2008

I personally have no "great hard drive" stories...

Had a Lacie which puked after about a year or two...started acting
wierd and made ill-sounding noises which no Utility or reformatting
cured.

Just went thru a bunch of Western Digital "My Books."  Two of them
started acting up within a week of purchase, and a 3rd was dead out of
the box...wouldn't even power up.  I have 2 other My Books; one serves
as a boot volume for a mac mini and seems OK; the 4th is for storage,
and I'm not 100% sure it's ok...less than 1 month old. Thank goodness
they're from Costco, so I don't have to get saddled with some expensive
doorstops.

I have 2 Seagate Free Plays or whatever they're called. Seem ok as
drives, but they *insist* on going to sleep as I'm working (but if I've
done nothing for 5, 10 minutes), but that seems to be a "benefit" which
the HD industry wants us to have far more than just a simple, basic,
fast, reliable drive that is just a drive and doesn't think or squirt
out eye candy.

This is kind of a rant, but, I don't need "smart" hard drives to decide
when I want them to sleep, I don't need Drives which can do backing up,
and I don't need a hard drive to have an armada of lights like you'd
see in the helm of the Starship Enterprise.

Hey, HD  Industry:  how about you nix the fancy lights and "smartness"
and just deliver reliability and performance??

good gravy!