[X4U] External HD Reliability?

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 15:29:07 PST 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone has any comments about the reliability of
> external HD's, especially the Lacie, and Western Digital models.  I
> really need a couple external drives for photo vaults, and am trying
> to decide if I should buy something, or build something.

I can't speak to the latest LaCies but I had a couple of d2 drives
bought in '04 and '05. Both died - one at 15 months and the other at
24 months. LaCie support wouldn't even talk to me about replacing the
drive that died at 15 months. In both externals, the power supply
circuit board died. I swore off of the LaCie and have been very happy
with the OWC Mercury Elite Pros.