[X4U] E-Mail programs (Was: Users' judgments of the glossy screen?)

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 22:17:17 PST 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 6:33 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> Some might argue that one monolithic database, while possibly
>> prone to
>> corruption, is far easier to backup/restore and/or quickly move to a
>> different computer. Any thoughts?
>
> My thoughts are the same as those of another poster: why is it
> easier to back up a file than a folder. Either one takes a single
> click or selection or drag. And you don't risk losing all email AND
> all addresses with a single point of failure.
>
> Daly
> ----------------------

Daly:

Just a thought here. When I ran OE the DB was around 25G and it took
a good 15 minutes to back it up and that meant OE could not be
updating the DB while the back up was running. At least with
individual messages this shouldn't(?) be an issue.

BTW I threw out EUDORA as it crashed my *ENTIRE* system 4-5 times a
day (on OS 9). At least with Apple mail when it does crash it does so
seldomly enough that I can live with it. All my experiences before
MAC were OS2 and the only app that crashed were windows based apps no
OS/2 app ever crashed.

Ed