[X4U] Dumb terminal

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 28 02:32:54 PST 2008

Some people think you're rude & ill-educated for top-posting.

Not I!

I think you're rude & ill-educated for top-posting when the person
before you in the thread has bottom posted.

Please feel free to top-post if you're the first reply in a thread,
but if you're replying to someone else's reply, please make the
effort to maintain the flow of text & keep messages readable.

There, I've fixed it for you:

On 27 Feb 2008, at 18:07, M K wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Stroller wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2008, at 22:11, M K wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a good way to connect to router via dumb
>>> terminal in OSX?
>>>
>>> what I'm trying to do is configure my Extreme Networks switch.
>>> I have a usb->serial adapter and I've loaded the drivers...
>>> now I can't figure out how to get Terminal to use that port...
>>
>> http://www.planet-rcs.de/article/mac_serial_port/
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/
>>
>> I have had to undertake the plist hack with the USB-serial cable I
>> got from Ye Olde Ledde Shoppe <http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/
>> com/CA4037.htm>.
>>
> I liked the Zterm...but, then I couldn't find the device...

That's probably because you didn't undertake the plist hack, which is
described in one of the links above.

> BUT, I do want to get this working on my Mac...if you guys don't
> mind helping...
>
> so, how does one find devices in FreeBSD / Darwin?
>
> what's the equivalent to lspci or lshw?

There surely are similar command-line utilities, but the vendor &
device ID can be found in System Profiler, by clicking on the blue
Apple in the top-left corner of the screen, then About this Mac, then
"More Info".

But, y'know, if you'd read Arne Brodowski's article, you'd know that
already.

Stroller.