[X4U] iMac dead?

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 1 07:12:42 PST 2008

On Dec 31, 2007, at 11:40 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I would leave the directory repair function of either Disk Utility
> or Disk Warrior running for a LONG time.  Like over 12 hours long.
> Especially with these multi-gigabyte drives that are around nowadays.

Okay, Michael, so both you and Linda think Disk Warrior should be
given another chance at it, and we may as well try that.

My husband thought that after having Erased the drive, when he
couldn't even mount a disk to install, that there wasn't a directory
for Disk Warrior to rebuild. Is he simply wrong? (These things aren't
exactly the most portable, so we haven't toted it to our house yet to
work on. It's still at my mother's house.)

I was finally able to consult the Alsoft Knowledge base (when I'd
first tried, its pages wouldn't load, so I decided to consult this
list). I am now very confused, as it says the "speed inhibited by
disk malfunction" message indicates a hardware problem, like a hard
drive failure, whereas everything I've read about Disk Utility's
message that the "Keys out of order" and "B-tree" is software
related. Plus, the hard drive had passed the SMART function test of
Disk Warrior. However, we are  vaguely remembering something else in
the recent past--something which had made us install SMART Reporter
on the iMac to begin with, which may indicate that the drive was
going bad. Frankly, the hard drive would be preferable (cheaper), I
think.

Also on the Alsoft Knowledge base, they suggest running Disk Warrior
in target mode to .  I do have an extra clamshell (with 10.4.11; I
use it in the kitchen) I can use to run Disk Warrior with the iMac in
target mode, and just leave it running without inconveniencing anyone.

I'll keep your offer in mind, Michael, should this not work.