[X4U] iMac dead?

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 15 06:15:16 PST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Yes, she would need more memory. In fact, depending on the age/
> model of the iMac, it might not be able to run Leopard. But if you
> download MacTracker at <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/
> macosx/10816> you can at least find out the RAM it can hold and
> other details about the computer.
>
> Apple says the minimum requirements are:
>
> Minimum System Requirements
> 	*	* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz
> or faster) processor
> 	*	* 512MB of physical RAM
> 	*	* DVD drive for installation
>
> at this site: <http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/
> AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=1D1ADA58&fnode=home&nplm=MB427Z/A>
>
> So, what is the speed of her iMac? She appears to have exactly the
> minimum requirements for RAM already.

Thank you for the link to download MacTracker. That should be a very
useful way to keep a handle on the various computers we have floating
around (they do seem to multiply over the years). This iMac is
definitely able to go to Leopard--it has a 1 Gz processor. The 512 MB
of ram, though, seems skimpy now, so I would think it a good idea to
bump it up, and according to MacTracker, we can. I'll take it back
over to the Mac shop for that, I think--my fingers aren't so nimble
anymore.

Mary