[X4U] Leopard Password

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat Jan 5 05:33:04 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 05:21, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> With SuperDuper I made a bootable copy of my internal HD (Tiger) to
> an external HD. (and also a backup to a second HD)
> There I upgraded Leopard which all went very well.  I selected the
> upgrade method to keep everything as it was.  I've always done this.
> After restart I'm asked to give my name and password in a small
> window.  Whatever name/password combination I give, nothing works.
> Even Admin/admin will not work.  I assumed that all data was kept
> from Tiger.  How can I now login?
> I know of a method:  start with a blank HD and re-install
> everything.  This is Vista progress.

You can boot from the Leopard DVD and reset the password from there.
There may be an issue with your admin account being turned into a non
admin account. I can't remember the exact details but I think it only
happens on an upgrade install. Basically you need to temporarily root
access, login as root, fix your admin account, and disable root again.
You can google Leopard lost admin account . . . that should turn up
the fix. There are fixes posted (I think) on both Apple's site and
other places.