[X4U] Leopard Password

Robert Ashton rashton at telus.net
Sat Jan 5 06:47:29 PST 2008

I had a password problem with Leopard and this was posted I believe
by Neil. It solved my problem. I rebooted and under other entered
root and what ever password I had set up. Hope this helps. Bob

  There is an issue with Leopard where if you do an update install it
causes admin accounts to be changed into non admin accounts.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306876 has a step by
step solution . . .essentially you enable the root account
temporarily, change your account back into an admin one then use
Directory Utility to disable root again. Don't leave root permanently
enabled.

Personally I recommend against using an admin account for day to day
usage as it leaves you more vulnerable in the event a virus/trojan/
whatever for Leopard was actually written.

Create a second account and give it admin privs . . . then remove the
admin rights from your normal, everyday account.

When you need to do something that requires admin rights . . . even
though you're logged in with your normal account just use the admin
name/password in the authentication dialog and things will work
perfectly . . . no need to log out/in with the admin account.

This ensures that you will always get asked for things that require
admin rights . . . and if the aforementioned trojan/virus/whatever
appears and pops up the authentication dialog . . .and you know
you're not doing anything you can intercept it.