[X4U] Spotlight search results are not sortable by usual Finder metadata

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 7 05:31:47 PST 2008

At 19 48  -0800 1/6/08, Ray Choiniere wrote:
>On Jan 6, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

>I'm using EasyFind 4.0.1, which I believe is a relatively recent
>version, and it does in fact search for file contents, not just file
>name. And it offers choices for All Words, Any Word, Phrase,
>Wildcards, and Boolean for your search entry. Maybe it would be
>worth looking at again in its current incarnation?
>
>>Also, the speed of Easyfind is abysmal.  I started a search of my
>>drives for one word that I know to be rare on my drives,
>>"elephant".  I have answered a phone call, and literally walked
>>downstairs to get a cup of tea, and then write this letter, and the
>>search still isn't completed.
>
>I suppose you're right about that, but of course perception of speed
>depends on individual requirements and expectations. Probably my
>requirements and expectations are just not very high, so I was
>content -- not thrilled, I confess, but content -- with the search I
>just did. Just for the heck of it I searched in my entire Home
>folder for my last name as file contents. The folder is about 44 GB
>according to the Finder Info window and the search was completed in
>65 seconds. (45 occurrences of my name, "Choiniere," by the way.
>Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!)

Okay, I don't want to beat a drum about this, but I just searched the
contents all documents on my hard drive for documents containing my
full name. I used NotLight. It took less than 1.5 seconds to find 486
documents and list them with name, path, and date last modified. If
someone is using Tiger, I can highly recommend NotLight. It also
allows search by file name, and several other criteria, and wild card
searches, and secondary searching within a set of found items.   AND
it doesn't start searching until you have finished typing your search
criteria. And it's free. And it lets you save searches.
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29015>

Daly