[X4U] networked scanner

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 21:25:23 PST 2008

At 21:4 -0800 1/9/08, John Terranova wrote:
>Does Image Capture sharing actually work these days?  It hasn't in the past.

I just tested it on our network. I have an Epson 3200 Photo scanner
connected by Firewire to my Intel iMac and shared it over our
wireless network. I accessed it from my husband's G5 through Image
Capture. I had to wait until it wasn't doing anything at my end, and
then it worked perfectly from his end.

The only thing I have never understood is that sharing a scanner
seems kind of pointless. You already have to go to the machine where
the scanner is connected, to put your document into the scanner, so
what's the advantage of sharing it?

I suppose so you don't have to interrupt the person at the computer
connected to the scanner?

Anyway, it showed up fine and worked perfectly over a wireless network.

We are both running OS X 10.4.11.

Daly