[X4U] networked scanner

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Thu Jan 10 01:16:38 PST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 00:03, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Wow, that is amazing! Thanks, Björn! I have paid far too little
> attention to Image Capture, obviously

Ditto. Never knew this functionality existed.

On 10 Jan 2008, at 05:25, Daly Jessup wrote:

> At 21:4 -0800 1/9/08, John Terranova wrote:
>> Does Image Capture sharing actually work these days?  It hasn't in
>> the past.
>
> I just tested it on our network. I have an Epson 3200 Photo scanner
> connected by Firewire to my Intel iMac and shared it over our
> wireless network. I accessed it from my husband's G5 through Image
> Capture. I had to wait until it wasn't doing anything at my end, and
> then it worked perfectly from his end.

Epson 1240 (?) USB connection to an Xserve (following a move off
another machine yesterday). Turned on sharing in Image Capture on the
Xserve. Quit Image Capture. Now can scan on my MacBook wirelessly.

> The only thing I have never understood is that sharing a scanner
> seems kind of pointless. You already have to go to the machine where
> the scanner is connected, to put your document into the scanner, so
> what's the advantage of sharing it?
>
> I suppose so you don't have to interrupt the person at the computer
> connected to the scanner?

Headless machines. My Xserve is in a cabinet with no monitor. Runs a
whole bunch of stuff - including iTunes and the scanner as of last
night. Previously I'd have connected via screen sharing (or ARD) and
managed things that way. Now I can access the scanner as I do iTunes -
from my local machine but using the remote resource.

> Anyway, it showed up fine and worked perfectly over a wireless
> network.
>
> We are both running OS X 10.4.11.

Xserve is 10.4.latest and MacBook is 10.5.latest.

Once again, thanks Björn.

Simon Forster