[X4U] Extra Applications folder

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 18:17:50 PST 2008

>On Jan 10, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Peter Saint James wrote:
>
>>	This function serves a situation where one machine has
>>multiple users.  An app could be installed in the usual
>>applications folder so everyone can use it or installed in the
>>applications folder for just one user.  It keeps clueless parents
>>from messing up the settings on the children's advanced software.
>
>I have a new MacBook, and it does not/not have two application
>folders. I'm the only user on it at the moment (no guest account or
>other family member, unlike the iMac); does it create the second
>folder in my home directory only when there are multiple users?  Am
>I correct in assuming that I can manually create the second folder
>in my home directory if I want to move some apps there in the event
>I do create a guest account? I know I could try some of things on my
>own to see whether this would work, but everything is working fine
>and I hesitate to risk upsetting the apple cart playing with apps
>that way.

My own experience has been that the system provides only one
Application folder, under the root. But if you add a folder called
"Applications" under your user folder, it will automatically get a
special icon from the system.

But others are reporting that the user  Applications folder seems to
be arriving by itself. I haven't seen that.

Daly