[X4U] 35mm Slide Scanner for OS X iMac

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Jan 15 20:43:32 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Linda wrote:

> On 1/15/08 9:49 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
>> $40 per slide is not even remotely in line. Who was
>> charging you that??
>
> The slides were removed from their frames, immersed in oil on a drum
> scanner, and we got Matchprints and .tiffs.
>
> I think this is a whole other ballpark from the links you posted. It
> didn't
> even occur to me that these kind of lower-end shops exist!
>
> $40 was the cheapest quote we got; other color houses wanted up to
> $79 each.
>
> There must be a fundamental difference between those scans and
> these; those
> scans took about 30 minutes each to perform for us (start to
> finish). No way
> is DVD Your Memories working for $4/hour! :-)

What you got was very high end/old school scans that are normally for
companies that are doing color critical catalog/print work - jewelry
catalogs, etc. I'm sure that they color corrected for that fee, too? I
learned to scan on one of those types of drum scanners.

While I am sure that your scans are of the utmost quality, I think
that there are very fine scan houses that would charge way less than
$40/per slide and you could still get very acceptable quality. Any
more, you can spend $5000 for a Nikon slide scanner and get 95% of the
quality of the drum scans for 5% of the price per slide.

I remember working at a service bureau and there they had a high end
Kodak slide scanner that was part of a process that would create Photo
CD's. I think they had 3, 6 and 12MB versions of each slide on a CD.
They charged about $2/per slide plus $14 for the CD.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net