[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 16:39:03 PST 2008

Linda said:

>That this probably won't be someone's "workhorse" computer -- it's thin,
>light, and a traveler's email and word-processing machine, quite possibly
>not someone's "only" computer, and that new OSes come out on optical disc
>only every 18 months-3 years, which is negligible in the life of the
>computer.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if Mac OS X 10.6 ships with "bootable thumb drive"
>as an option besides DVD. Suddenly you don't need an optical drive to
>install Mac OS...

I totally agree. I think this computer is not to replace anything you
already have. It's to be a very thin, light, portable way to get
email, internet, do some word processing, keep up at business
meetings, and so on, but not to be a workhorse machine. There is a
market for this kind of thing.  In fact, it has a generic name,
though I forget what that is.

I don't think anyone would get it as their main computer.  Therefore,
it makes sense to load software, and do backups, and so on, from
another computer or device. You'd bring this thing home from its
travels and synch everything from your main machine.

Daly