[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Jan 16 17:38:51 PST 2008

> I totally agree. I think this computer is not to replace anything you
> already have. It's to be a very thin, light, portable way to get
> email, internet, do some word processing, keep up at business
> meetings, and so on, but not to be a workhorse machine. There is a
> market for this kind of thing.  In fact, it has a generic name,
> though I forget what that is.
>
> I don't think anyone would get it as their main computer.  Therefore,
> it makes sense to load software, and do backups, and so on, from
> another computer or device. You'd bring this thing home from its
> travels and synch everything from your main machine.
>
> Daly

I can see this being the target, it makes sense that this is the target
audience, but it is so expensive that it is limiting its market.  I actaully
want a device for just these reasons, however, the "Asus eee PC" is a better
solution for almost anyone wanting such a system.  I find it hard to believe
that the "Air" will be able to compete with a plain MacBook at the price
they're asking.  I fail to see how it can be significantly more expensive
than the MacBook, be less powerful, and make it simply based on being
thinner and lighter.

Zane