[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 21:42:01 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 6:39 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>> On 1/16/08 3:36 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>>
>>  > if so what was Apple thinking?
>
> Linda said:
>
>> That this probably won't be someone's "workhorse" computer -- it's
>> thin,
>> light, and a traveler's email and word-processing machine, quite
>> possibly
>> not someone's "only" computer, and that new OSes come out on
>> optical disc
>> only every 18 months-3 years, which is negligible in the life of the
>> computer.
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised if Mac OS X 10.6 ships with "bootable
>> thumb drive"
>> as an option besides DVD. Suddenly you don't need an optical drive to
>> install Mac OS...
>
> I totally agree. I think this computer is not to replace anything
> you already have. It's to be a very thin, light, portable way to
> get email, internet, do some word processing, keep up at business
> meetings, and so on, but not to be a workhorse machine. There is a
> market for this kind of thing.  In fact, it has a generic name,
> though I forget what that is.
>
> I don't think anyone would get it as their main computer.
> Therefore, it makes sense to load software, and do backups, and so
> on, from another computer or device. You'd bring this thing home
> from its travels and synch everything from your main machine.
>
> Daly
> ----------------------

Daly,

You have a point (well maybe a small one). The people I know that
carry laptops travel quite a bit 5 days or more on the road at one
time. When they do get back home they may or may not get back into
the office when they are home.  5+ days with no CDROM? I don't think
so as people use the DVDs on the plane to either watch movies and
since the airlines can be extremely cheap about handing out earphones
most people skip them.
Even if there is a replacement coming out in say 6 or so months that
leaves the early adapters no where. I am with other people on this it
sounds like its a no show at the gate.

Ed