[X4U] Time Capsule vs Airport Extreme?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Wed Jan 16 22:05:29 PST 2008

> Apple's position on wireless backups through Airport has been that
> it wasn't ready for prime time.

Is that official? Because I was thinking about hooking a USB drive to
an Airport Extreme to backup over 802.11n.

Another question to all: I understand that Time Machine works quietly
in the background. What happens if one closes the laptop while a file
is being copied? Worse even: Maybe the next time the laptop is opened
on the road where the backup drive is not available. That's a very
realistic scenario for me.

(With a physically connected drive, at least the second exacerbated
scenario is unlikely, because users are strongly advised to unmount
drives before unplugging.)

Has anybody tried to use Airport Extreme + USB drive for Time Machine?

Björn