[X4U] Time Capsule vs Airport Extreme?

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Fri Jan 18 16:36:57 PST 2008

At 7:05 AM +0100, 1/17/08, B. Kuestner wrote:

>>Apple's position on wireless backups through Airport has been that
>>it wasn't ready for prime time.
>
>Is that official?

Yes.

>  Because I was thinking about hooking a USB drive to an Airport
>Extreme to backup over 802.11n.

Can't be done today.

>Another question to all: I understand that Time Machine works
>quietly in the background. What happens if one closes the laptop
>while a file is being copied?

The backing up stops.

>Worse even: Maybe the next time the laptop is opened on the road
>where the backup drive is not available.

Not a problem. Since the backup drive is connected wired, you would
naturally dismount it first and the back up stops then.

>Has anybody tried to use Airport Extreme + USB drive for Time Machine?

Time Machine only backs up to hard drives that are connected to
computers that are running Leopard (which the Access Point is not.)

--

Robert Ameeti

My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.
~ Henry Ford