[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu Jan 17 02:56:38 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:50:09PM CST, B. Kuestner <kuestner at macnews.de> wrote:

> The MacBook Air appears to me as the "portable Cube". Very pretty, very
> expensive. Both are/were worth their money, but still: expensive.

The problem with the Cube is that portability makes no sense in a
desktop environment where a computer, once situated, doesn't move
around anymore.  It was also more expensive than the equivalent
regular PowerMac.  While beautiful in design, it was for the most
part a poorly-targetted product.  In contrast, The MacBook Air is
designed for the ultra-portable market where weight and bulk far
outweigh CPU power and expandability.  It is a focused product for
a specific (and larger) target audience.  It is not aimed for the
desktop user, or for the portable user who really prefer a portable
desktop (MacBook) or workstation (MacBook Pro).

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/