[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Richard H Stoddard richardstoddard at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 03:03:32 PST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 12:42 AM, Ed Gould wrote:
> You have a point (well maybe a small one). The people I know that
> carry laptops travel quite a bit 5 days or more on the road at one
> time. When they do get back home they may or may not get back into
> the office when they are home.  5+ days with no CDROM? I don't think
> so as people use the DVDs on the plane to either watch movies and
> since the airlines can be extremely cheap about handing out
> earphones most people skip them.
> Even if there is a replacement coming out in say 6 or so months that
> leaves the early adapters no where. I am with other people on this
> it sounds like its a no show at the gate.

I bought a MacBook a few months ago specifically for travel. Had the
MacBook Air been available, I would have seriously considered it. We
already have an iMac, so the MacBook sits next to it and shares a
wireless connection.  On the road, that extra couple if pounds can
make a big difference when you're carrying files (or on vacation a bag
of large digital cameras).  I never use the optical drive when
traveling, so wouldn't miss that; for home use I wold just buy the
optional drive. Now that I have the MacBook, which I like a lot, I
obviously won't buy the new Air, but when I need a new laptop, I'll
give it or its successor serious consideration.