[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Jan 23 13:35:12 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:22:30AM CST, Ed Gould <edgould1948 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Eugene wrote:
>>
>> MacBook Air is "X".  You need "Y".  Define "Y".
>
> I need a laptop computer that can expand memory up to 32G (more would be a
> plus) and has an optical drive and has a "hard drive" that is say over 180G
> AND a builtin ethernet card (or at least one that you can attach to it).
> The hard drive can be some new "something" that looks like a HD it doesn't
> have to be a PURE HD (physically I mean). Oh yes and have at least a 17"
> monitor that is SVGA or better (the computer of course must have a SVGA
> graphics card builtin. A battery that can last at least 8 hours or be able
> to be plugged in to an airplane receptacle . A Firewire connection port and
> a USB port would be nice. Sound card is mandatory.
>
> Is that a good definition of "Y" ?

This is a clear set of requirements.  It sounds like you're
looking for a portable workstation/minicomputer.  But "32 GB"?
That's probably the most far-fetched idea of all given today's
limits in technology (unless you are willing to carry around a
3" thick laptop that weighs 15 lbs.)  Even other MacBook Air
opponents are shaking their heads in mild disbelief.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/