[X4U] Repair permissions

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Sat Jan 19 02:23:11 PST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 3:19 AM, Greg Noneman wrote:

> The one minute estimate is not accurate. On my PowereBook G4 (1.67
> GHz) it seems like it takes more like 15 minutes.  Give it time. It
> will probably complete (eventually).
>
> Greg Noneman

This has become the norm, since Leopard checks ACLs as part of this
process and it can be dreadfully slow. Basically, as a programmer
friend of mine reminded me the other day, unless you have a real
problem related to permissions (and few ever do), this process is
nothing more than a "pixie dust" remedy that's no better than
rebuilding the desktop for every little thing under the Classic Mac OS.

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Publisher/Editor, The Mac Night Owl