[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Dave B DaveB_Lists_1004 at gto.net
Sat Jan 19 11:42:12 PST 2008

On 19-Jan-08, at 12:26, Shawn King wrote:
> On 1/17/08 2:56 AM, "Eugene" <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:
>
>> In contrast, The MacBook Air is
>> designed for the ultra-portable market where weight and bulk far
>> outweigh CPU power and expandability.  It is a focused product for
>> a specific (and larger) target audience.  It is not aimed for the
>> desktop user, or for the portable user who really prefer a portable
>> desktop (MacBook) or workstation (MacBook Pro).
>
> Finally - a voice of sanity... :)
> --
> Shawn King
> Host/Executive Producer
> Your Mac Life
> http://www.yourmaclifeshow.com

I have to put my vote in against the Air. And for one reason only.
Price. I can't justify the price vs. functionality. Sure it is sexy
and slim (just like a super model), but it is also expensive and
fragile. I'm sure there are people who will value what the Air doesn't
have (thickness and 3 pounds) and it's status (Mac snobbery at its
highest), but I'm not one of them. And the dozens of people I've
spoken with about the Air are all in agreement.

If the Air was $800, I'd be enthused about it, as it would make a
great ultra-portable 'accessory Mac'. But it is $1800 (the price of a
high end MacBook with 4GB of 3rd party RAM, AND accessories like a
case, mouse, cables, adapters, etc) and the Air requires additional
hardware to be fully functional. Now that hardware may be another Mac,
or a PC, or it could be the optional superdrive. The built-in battery
is also an insult that Apple is continuing to push on us consumers in
more devices. First it was iPods, then the iPhone, now the MB Air.

I'd been waiting for MacWorld and this announcement. Now I'm going to
vote with my $ (like I did last year when I bought a Nokia E61 rather
than an iPhone). And despite being the president of a MUG and a Mac
consultant, I'm going to buy an Asus Eee PC. Sorry Apple, but my
MacBook Pro is portable enough for me, and 3 Eee PC's will do more for
me and my family than one MB Air.

Regards,
Dave