[X4U] Combine User accounts in Leopard?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jan 20 09:36:18 PST 2008

On 1/19/08 4:24 PM, "John Baltutis" <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Reverse the process if you can log into the moved account Delete the original,
> saving data, open the .dmg file in /Users/Deleted Users/, change the ownership
> and permissions to those of the moved account, and transfer the 2% to it.
> That
> should be quicker.

I didn't know that was possible, and that's no longer an option, because
I've moved so much "stuff" from the old 98% account to the new 2% account
already. I think part of the problem is that even when I made the
appropriate changes to permissions at one folder level, there could be
things nested inside it that didn't get their privileges changed when I
moved them.

I'll never do this again, I promise.

I've recovered SOME functionality (access to my Quicken file, my Entourage
database, my Web Confidential passwords, my printers, etc., by combinations
of re-changing privileges, reinstalling applications, re-downloading
drivers, etc. The BIGGEST remaining problems are applications that can't
find support files even AFTER I reinstall them, and the fact that I've
messed up my file sharing privileges (no other computers on my home LAN can
find my new machine).

Disk Utility says it's repaired privileges. DiskWarrior 4.0 isnt' an option
because my CD won't boot my Mac Pro (I guess I could do a minimum Leopard
installation on the second drive in the Mac Pro, install Diskwarrior 4.0
there, and attack my "usual" boot drive from that, but I don't know if it
would help.

Would I get anywhere with an "archive and install" as far as the network
access issues are concerned?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson