[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

Christopher Collins maclist at analogdigital.com.au
Sun Jan 20 22:41:34 PST 2008

It's the thickness of this thing (MacBook Air) that is probably a
HUGE, and I mean HUGE part of the cost.

Going on the cost of some other items, you can almost bet that there
is a tripling in price for the same item.

80GB HDD 3.5" - maybe $50
80GB HDD 2.5" - maybe $100.00
80GB HDD 1.8" - maybe $150.00

Granted those prices are not totally accurate for someone purchasing
in quantity, but you get the idea.

Then factor in the case of the special CPU, special main board,
special chipset, special memory, etc and you quickly account for the
difference.

As to the optical drive that everyone seems worried about. A cd is
700MB. A dvd is about 4500MB. What about copying the cd's or dvd's to
a small 4GB or 8GB USB drive? Faster and probably safer.

Again, as I said. I'm still looking at 3 things.

The weight.
The size (thickness), and
Mac OS X.

cjc