[X4U] MW Expo; I'm underwhelmed

T.L. Miller tlmiller at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 05:15:20 PST 2008

On 1/20/08, at 10:03 PM, Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com said:

>I am curious about one thing, everyone is interested in the weight
>aspect, shoot that's what interests me about it, that and the size.
>How many people care about the thickness (I don't)?  I think that
>part of why it costs so much is the thickness, yet I would think that
>if they'd gone a little thicker they could have saved money, and
>still come in at about the same weight.  That special CPU can't be
>cheap, and might be the reason for the $550-700 price difference.

To reduce the volume of the Air, I guess they could have made it
narrower, but fatter to get all the components inside. However, when the
screen (and keyboard), get too small, the unit loses usability. So, the
only option was to make it thinner. I had the pleasure of playing with
them a little at Macworld and was delighted at how easy they were to
pick up. I have a MacBook and a 12" AlBook and was impressed with the
Air's size. I have taken my AlBook on trips several times and found its
5+ lbs a nuisance. Looks like I won't need a case for my Air, I'll just
just use a manila envelope like Jobs did at the keynote -- a savings.

Tom Miller
"The only time we see the middle of the road is as
we run from side to side." R.O.Clark