[X4U] Mail.app problems

Richard H Stoddard richardstoddard at mac.com
Mon Jan 21 05:07:26 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Stroller wrote:

> That suggests to me that the additional copies have been made either
> when Mail has been trying to repair a corrupt version, or during the
> Time Machine restore process you said you tried.
>
> I'm very very confident indeed that the additional files can quite
> safely be deleted, too - I'm sure they're not even being used.
> But since I haven't encountered them before, use the cautious
> approach:
> - shut down Mail
> - copy the whole "~/Library/Mail" folder to your desktop.
> - delete the "envelope index-1" &c files from "~/Library/Mail" (not
> the copy)
> - wait a day or so before deleting the backup from the desktop, just
> to be sure nothing bad happens.

I'm going to watch the over the next few days and see whether Mail is
writing to any of them other than the main index. If not, I'll do as
you suggest and and then delete them.  I just hope the next update
addresses some of these issues. In the meantime, I continue to explore
alternatives; unfortunately, I use several aliases, and none of them
handle that quite as elegantly as Mail.app.