[X4U] Macs which support "target disk mode"

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Jan 23 10:20:59 PST 2008

On 1/23/08 9:35 AM, "Jon Warms" <jwarms at mac.com> wrote:

> Valuable a resource as this board is, sometimes a Yahoo or Google
> search will provide an answer using a lot less bandwidth and time.
>
> For example, go here:
>
> <http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2700150,2700155>
>
> I searched on "target disk mode mdd".
>
> There are two tips that I glean. First - although I don't remember
> if your G4 will boot - target disk mode works two ways. If you can,
> you can work from the G4 and make another Mac the target disk.
> The second tip seems directly applicable. You can only make the
> master drive on the rear ATA a target dd. The symptom you
> get are consistent with no drive in that position.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jon

Thanks! You've provided me the answer (I need to swap the drive to another
position in the MDD).

Regarding whether or not to ask questions such as mine on X4U vs. doing a
Google search, my use of Mac discussion groups goes way back to the days of
CompuServe, when 9600 bps modems were "fast", and it's hard to break old
habits. Also, there's a COMMUNITY aspect to these groups (we expect certain
colorations to answers from some of the stalwarts) that enhances the
experience here, and I think often enough the topics discussed are of broad
enough applicability that I find myself thinking "that's something I always
wondered about myself." If we take away these calls for help and leave
behind only the rants of those who think potential purchasers of the MacBook
Air should be separated from their money or sent to the guillotine, the list
would dry up pretty quickly :-)

Jim Robertson