[X4U] iMac startup problem

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Wed Jan 23 13:37:24 PST 2008

Quoting Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be>:

> It shows some horizontal colored lines.  I've not seen it myself.  If
> it was the battery, it would refuse to start and not after the 12th
> time.
> When she manage it to work with the iMac, there's not problem anymore
> whatsoever.  She can work for days.

Ah . . .could be the high voltage power supply then (although I
haven't heard that there was a systematic issue with them on iMacs
like the one the old Plus had years ago) . . . also could possibly be
something up with the OS installation . . .although I would tend to
doubt that unless it's not booting at all and just crashes with the
horizontal lines.

If it's booting behind them OK and it's just display artifacts . . .
then I would suspect HW issue of some kind.

I s'pose you already tried the Disk Utility, repair, etc? Again, not
likely to do anything useful to help . . . but I always try them
anyway if nothing else seems to work.

You might try resetting the Open Firmeware as well  . . . just in case
something in the video setting section of that got corrupted. I can't
remember the exact command after you apple-option-O-F boot to get to
the OF prompt . . . but a quick google should turn it up.

neil