[X4U] So close! Almost had a new convert...

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Jan 23 15:16:02 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:46:01PM CST, Jesse Leo <jleo at projectsupport.com> wrote:

> An old friend of mine bought a Macbook after years of my urging her to make
> the switch. But a few weeks later I got an email saying she was sending it
> back for two reasons:
>
> 1) Moving her website over so she could work on it on the Mac would've been
> a huge chore, as it was created in MS FrontPage. Never having used FrontPage
> I cannot verify if this is accurate.
>
> 2) There was evidently some hardware issue with her keyboard and/or
> trackpad, it would stop responding sometimes. Still under warranty, I'm sure
> it would've been a free repair @ the Genius Bar.
>
> A full-blow intervention was in order, but alas I was too late. She had
> already sent it back and ordered a Dull.

It's easier to convert a new computer user than an old Windoze user.
The former has no baggage.  The latter has built years of experience
with a particular workflow.  Your greatest challenge is to understand
what they do, show them how to do that on the Mac, and train them to
use new tools on the Mac when their old tools only exist on Windoze.
Given her history with FrontPage, I would not have tried to convert
your friend in the first place.  However, I'd also tell her that I
would provide free tech support only if she converted to a Mac.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/